Friday, January 24, 2014

Gratitude Greens

About one week ago, I jumped on my computer very quickly before heading out of the house, and what I saw in my inbox blew me away!  I had gotten an offer from a real live publishing company that was offering me a contract for my book.  The book is called “Gratitude Greens,” and it’s the first book I’ve ever written.  I just assumed that I would have to self-publish it, as I am brand new to the industry.  I’ve always loved to write, but I am also realistic about how competitive the book business is. 

I read the email from CrossLink Publishing 4 times before I actually believed what I was reading.  Then, just to be sure, I called my husband at work and read it out loud to him.  Could I be mistaken? Is this real? Could I be reading it wrong?  It was real, and the journey of publishing my first book has only just begun. 

I have always been fascinated by the power of positive thinking and the idea of the law of attraction, but I have wondered how and if those theories line up with God’s Truth. I am a Christian, and I know that God tells us not to fall prey to deceiving spirits.  I also know, however, that I feel much happier, lighter and more joyful when I focus on the positive and expect the best to happen.  For a period of time, I worried that relying on these theories of the “universe” bringing me what I focus on was in direct opposition to what the Bible teaches. 

After praying about my convictions and reading the Bible, looking for clues, I came to a realization.  God, Himself, tells us to focus on the positive.  Philippians 4:8 says “Whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.” 

That sounds like positive thinking to me!  God also says, “A merry heart doeth good like a medicine: but a broken spirit drieth the bones,” in Proverbs 17:22. 

This made sense to me and enabled me to reconcile my belief in God as the one and only Creator of the universe and my beliefs in the law of attraction and positive thinking.  After all, the law of attraction claims that the universe will bring you what you focus on.  Who made the universe? God did!  Who made it work the way it does? God did!  The only way the universe is going to bring you what you focus on is if God wants it to.

I wrote “Gratitude Greens” as a way of expressing my belief that when God calls Christians to be the Light of the World, he is calling us to be grateful, positive and light-filled. This can only be done by focusing on the many blessings and wonders we are surrounded by each and every day.  This must be done on a continuous, consistent basis.  It is a choice, and we are each called to make it.


What are you grateful for today? Give yourself a few minutes today to focus on your blessings. How does this make you feel? Try to carry that positive feeling with you throughout your busy week.

8 comments:

  1. CONGRATULATIONS on your new adventure! You've been wanting to do this for a long time. We're all proud of you and excited for the peace and comfort this book can bring to all those who read it. You're writing this with the grace of God and for the glory of God. Love, M&D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, guys! I appreciate all your support!

      Delete
  2. Congratulations Amy! Your book is wonderful! What a beautiful message for people that are hurting or discouraged or those of us that just need to be reminded of our many blessings. God is truly working through you! We will be praying for you as you pursue your dream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you enjoyed the book. I hope it does work as an encouragement to others, and it's fun for me to see what God is doing here! Thanks again, Ging!

      Delete
  3. Nice Blog hun.

    You have a nack for writing. this will be fun to follow and see what you come up with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, hun. It's been fun for me to explore this avenue. Thanks for your awesome support in my writing adventures! I love you!

      Delete
  4. Keep it coming, Amy. We can all use your encouragement and insights from scripture. We look forward to them. M&D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am so glad you are enjoying them and getting encouragement from them. That's exactly what I want God to use this blog, as well as my book, for.

      Delete